HARARE: Due processes will be followed in dealing with more than 100 Zanu-PF officials who have been recommended for suspension or expulsion for allegedly supporting a bid by sacked Vice-President Emmerson Mnangagwa to take over from President Mugabe, ruling party spokesperson Ambassador Simon Khaya Moyo has said.
Their cases are likely to go to the Zanu-PF National Disciplinary Committee.
Other affected bigwigs are ministers Cdes Kembo Mohadi, Oppah Muchinguri-Kashiri, Christopher Mushohwe, Josiah Hungwe and Abednico Ncube, whose home provinces want them disciplined.
In an interview with The Sunday Mail last week, Ambassador Khaya Moyo said: “The matter was raised in the Politburo and the Secretary for Legal Affairs (Cde Chinamasa) was tasked with dealing with the issue.
“We are all guided by the party constitution. The Secretary for Legal Affairs interprets the constitution and he is handling the matter as we speak. The matter is now in the department’s hands and we will be advised accordingly.”
Asked on how the party is going to handle Manicaland’s push to expel Cde Chinamasa from Zanu-PF, Cde Khaya Moyo said: “The disciplinary committee is not a one-man band, they will handle the matter as a committee and I think one can be recused if need be.”
Provincial Co-ordinating Committee meetings last week saw scores of leaders being put to the sword. state media