ZIMBABWE is no longer hosting the regional Cosafa tournament which was scheduled to begin on May 19.
Cosafa chief executive Sue Destombes last month announced that Zimbabwe is set to host this year’s edition of the Cosafa senior men’s tournament, subject to government guarantee.
Sports Minister Kirsty Coventry emerged from a meeting in Harare and told journalists that hosting Cosafa is not good for the country and the Zimbabwe Football Association.
“. . . it’s been agreed that the deal was just not very good for the country or for Zifa so we will not be hosting the Cosafa games this year but we look forward to having adequate time to be able to host a world class event in the near future.
“We want to make sure that when we do host events of this magnitude that we are fully prepared, we have good timing and just don’t feel that was really given to us,” she said.
More to follow. . .